4 color Halm Jet questions

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by Volga, Apr 22, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Volga

Volga New Member

Greetings,

I've recently had an old Halm P-47 4 color Jet dropped in my lap. I've run about every brand of offset press there is in my 40 years of printing. Never ran a Jet. The powers that be moved this press from Texas to Indiana. The guy they sent down there to train on it retired before we even got the press running here. We had some idiot here in Indiana that was (according to him) supposed to know everything there is to know about repairing Jets. Guy was a complete disaster. He came here 3 times and every time the press was in worse shape than when he got here. I managed to get my hands on an operators manual that wasn't specifically for this press but it's close. I used that to train myself.

All that being said, here's my problem. The 1st unit comes on impression when it feels like it. It will run fine for an hour or two then refuse to go into impression unless I trip it manually. I cycle the power, nothing. Come back the next day, it works for an hour or two. I've moved the impression trip sensor forward and back, made sure the grippers on the impression cylinder aren't obstructed. The other problem (which I believe to be related) is 3 and 4 come on impression at the same time. Not a problem for 3 but 4 comes down early and prints on the back cylinder before the envelope gets there. 4 comes off late as well, so if I miss one it prints on (usually) 2 impression cylinders which means roughly 30 envelopes in the garbage. You can imagine what a pain in the *** it is to wipe 8 impression jackets every time you shut it down or miss an envelope.

As I mentioned I am new to Jets but certainly not new to running offset presses. If there are any old Jet ops around that might have some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

2. er.bajaj001@gmail.com

er.bajaj001@gmail.com Member

Why dont you go for New Plc System with latest Technolgy and Sensors?

3. Volga

Volga New Member

Umm...Thanks?